Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Ahu adjusting!

Today was the big day! I did my first adjustments. So, I went to class just before 6:30am. Entered the room while my teacher was helping someone. Then she came over and told me that I can begin adjusting people with downward dog, prasarita-padottanasana , paschimottanasana and triang-muka-eka-pada-paschimottansan, and even maybe with utthita-hasta-padangusthasana. First I stand there like a tree, terrified, then I told myself “move for gods sake, common, you will be helping with something you love to do, this is the chance to be doing something which might fit your nature the best”. So I began with adjusting downward dogs. Then prasarita-padottanasana, well with that I made Corrie roll… Okey it was funny not horrifying, she lost her balance and gently rolled. My teacher came and told me that I am suppose to have my leg in front of their leg in case they loose balance as just happened. Then, I did other adjustments as people moved to asanas on the mat. I was really scared with what people’s reactions might have been, like “what the hell she is doing” kind of… especially people whom I usually talk to, the regulars. However, surprisingly, they were especially very receptive, even thanking me… But it is really difficult to tell how much pressure I am applying and how much to apply. I don’t want to hurt people but then if I am doing it too lightly, there is not much point to it… Also, how different each person’s body, some are very flexible, some is so stiff-as if my adjustment has no impact, and some is resistant… Well, it was also tiring, more than I would imagine. First of all, have to breath with people I am adjusting so I can get the duration correctly, then there are so many energies floating around and you sense it all when going from one person to another. Though at the time I began my own practice, I was already warmed up, very much open, not like how I am usually when I am on my mat right off the bed.
After I finished my practice, which was also the end of class, and took a shower, we talked with my teacher about what I think. She told me that it is better to do it too gently than to over do it with which I totally agree… Then, with two other friends from class, we went to Gallery cafĂ© to have coffee. My teacher also had our picture taken with her camera, and said lets take a picture of the day of Ahu doing adjustments for the first time. So, it is even documented, well not while adjusting of course.
Next adjustment day will be next Tuesday since Wednesday is a full moon. Until then, practice, practice, practice...

1 comment:

Clare said...

Well done - I would be really nervous about it too! We are learning about adjustments in our teacher training this weekend.

When my friend who did the teacher training last year practiced adjustments on me, she ended up leaving a finger/hand print of bruises on my hip! It didn't hurt though.

I think its best just to be quite gentle - I have one teacher who is really rough, adjustments with fingernails poking into you - that's not good!