Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Do I need to justify my practice?

Why do I care so much… but then I guess it is even more difficult to let go when your sister talks about how other people bad mouth ashtanga. I feel like she does not trust me and constantly have to tell me what this and that yoga teacher in Istanbul thinks about ashtanga… Today she wrote an email telling me that she told this one teacher that I used to know about my plans to go to Mysore to practice with Guruji. So, this teacher tells my sister that it is very crowded there in the shala (yes we all know that!) and that they don’t teach you much… so there is this other teacher called Ve…( I cannot remember) and he is very good and I should consider maybe? And plus this teacher my sister talked to hates ashtanga because she injured herself so much while practicing it… and my dear sister warns me to not hurt myself…
Well, we know it is crowded in Mysore but isn’t that one of the enhancing factors about it; the energy should be multiplying. Also, yes, I am aware that with the crowd and everything, less help each students gets, but I am fine with that since some of the days I only get one or two adjustments here as well, and help with backdrops and also it is practice, practice, practice... I was telling my sister afterwards on the phone that there is also the spiritual side not just pushing yourself through asanas and injuring yourself and her response was that probably people find ashtanga less spiritual since it is so difficult and fast… Well, for me going to Mysore will be like pilgrimage as Medic says, and paying my respect to Guruji. I also believe that practicing there will make a difference, I don’t know maybe because of practicing with all these people from all over the world, or maybe because I will have more inner strength or because I will be only focusing on my practice… I just wish that I will make it there and I also wish to practice as long as my body allows…

4 comments:

Tiff said...

I always feel the need to justify ashtanga...

I really think it's the best yoga out there...I think it's the best thing out there

but a lot of people think I'm weird - that's okay, we've got our community.

Andrea said...

No. You don't need to justify your practice.

No one asks anyone to justify going to the gym or eating healthy.

You do your practice for yourself and not for anyone else.

Let them judge if they want. It doesn't matter.

--A

Unknown said...

the whole mysore thing, like life in general, is about expectations. the trick is probably just to go and experience the practice with the masters. of course there will be good and bad things along the way.

remember, there are starving ashtangis all over the world that would love to be there!

Ahu said...

Yes, I guess I need to experience it for myself and fulfil the urge I have and until then ignore all the noises...