Thursday, April 23, 2009

After thoughts

Reflections on a conversation with a friend… It really struck me when P. said something similar to “ they look good maybe but do they feel good inside? Maybe a perfect looking trikonasana but how do they feel inside or do they feel at all?” I hung on to these words and some more for several reasons. One reason was his openness and his natural way, easy going way, even making me relax at the very moment, reminding me why I love yoga in the first place. Another was that he reminded me something I realized while I was in India… When I arrived to India and began practicing I realized that how I was beginning to get obsessed with alignment when I was back at home teaching. I think one reason for this was the reputation of ashtangis for having bad alignment. I was afraid of being judged by others with how I teach and how students look, so I was getting obsessed with alignment in class and also in my own practice… this was a bit silly and again obsessive but I was concerned nevertheless… and then when I got to India, I relaxed and recognized this obsession. And now, I ask, how far one can get looking perfect in a pose? Is there a limit to making it look better and better? Isn’t the actual key feeling comfortable in the pose? I donnu… this is rather a tricky question to answer. For sure, alignment is important and we cannot dismiss the certain rules; however, after some point, we also have to let go, otherwise I might be in Warrior 2 for a whole day or two… the knee, the back leg, the pelvis, the torso, arms… but then enough already just breath….

Well, so how do we feel inside, how does yoga makes us feel or the realization of how we feel while practicing… I guess these are the fundamentals…

Then when P. mentioned “learning in silence” I went aha that is what I could not put into words… I kept saying “there is this magic in Mysore, I don’t know if it is the energy of the shala or the energy of practicing with so many people…” kept on “Practicing with all these people you begin doing things that you were not able to do, you see things and then some how you also start doing them…” Well the short way of saying all this is “Learning in silence”! and when it is put in this way, it is even stronger.

What else… The winter made a come back to Istanbul ☹ It has been rainy, cold, even little snow I saw yesterday… This makes it harder to go out of the house early in the morning, but I suppose these are the last bits of the winter, and the sunshine will come back very soon.

No comments: