Thursday, April 09, 2009

Full Moon Power

Happy full moon! I feel like this full moon is full of energy, which makes us see our potential… I taught two classes yesterday, one was the regular morning Mysore class and then I had a regular class during noontime. My own practice in the morning felt “full power” as Rolf would put it. There was nothing extraordinary happened, like me jumping into Bakasana B or handstand but it was a quiet stable, grounded practice…
Then, in the afternoon, I had a massage, which I booked in the beginning of the week. I really needed one… it was very nice.
But the real story….
At night, as I was being full moon wild, not going to bed at 8PM. In the mids of this wildness, I got a call from someone who came to my class during noon. She called me to share her experience during and after the class. First, I got it totally wrong because when she said the practice was strong I thought “shoot, I screwed up and did a too strong class for B2 level…” But then I realized that she meant it was strong in a sense that it was healing and opening and clearing for her… She is someone who had been doing ashtanga on and off for a long time but because of some injury she stopped and she only sometimes practices… And yesterday, she even did a backbend, which I was not expecting because her injury was on her back. She also mentioned this, how she was scared of backbends but yesterday she did it and realized she is strong enough to do it and she can actually open up and do it! Of course during this whole conversation I was nervous, and excited and surprised… She told me that I have peaceful energy and she is happy that I teach ashtanga here and that I should keep on and that she is excited for me that I am going to R.F. training and finally she said please don’t go away to India… Well… after this talk I was shaken up a bit… and then again, one more time I felt the power of this practice. The way it touches people… I mean, of course, it was not me who made her have that experience, the healing, detoxifying, empowering practice… She decided to come to class; she came and she flowed with her breath, then she got the courage to do a backbend and realized that she can do it. In a way, the practice transformed her energy. She let the practice work on her.

I believe that the grounding power of this practice is very strong. It makes one to go on, makes one to hold on and be strong. At least, for me, one the most powerful aspect of this practice has been this. But this is not the only one, it also shows us how we have all these limitations in our minds about what we can and cannot do. We actually have no idea of what we are capable of doing, we judge ourselves too harshly sometimes. I know that this is the case for me… It was the case when I was trying to do my backdrops, I was so scared and thought I can not do them at all… Indeed, before coming drop backs, when I saw Marichyasana B not even D, I was like hahah you think that knee will come down and then I will bind?!… and then the first time, I bind to lotus, it was maybe for a breath but I was so excited and surprised… And now I have been trying and struggling with Bakasana B and jumping into handstands with two legs… My initial response was ohh it will never happen, ohh I am not strong enough, ohh I do not know how to jump up… and on and on… and I was so frustrated so discouraged with myself and I was feeling so weak which made me judge myself so much. I felt like a looser, and even quitting practice passed my mind when I was in Goa struggling with all this. The practice was already more emotional than physical… First month I told Marci I won’t try handstands anymore because I cannot do them, something happened that I cannot even kick to the wall for handstands… because I was so nervous, I was afraid that I could not do it, and of course I could not. But then a month later I asked for help from Marci for Bakasana B and then yes I had to begin practicing jumping into handstands with two feet again. She told me to not judge myself and just play with it like kids do. She said just try everyday and be playful about it like we would do when we were kids and she said that at some point, you will be so tired of not being able to do it that you will do it… I am still waiting for that moment. Some mornings, I ask myself “aren’t you tired of not being able to do it? just do it and get over with it…” so then I jump harder with more commitment… I also remind myself I keep practicing and when my body and my mind, shortly myself is ready, it will happen. And so just like that, last night, I dreamed that I did it, and the funny think it just happened, there was no such huge physical effort to it, it happened very lightly, smoothly. This is my third such dream! Maybe it means I am getting closer and closer. They say that if you can dream it, you will do it! I feel like this is all full moon power, showing me and many others like me that there is more to what we can do it.

In fact, all this is not limited to asana practice. I see now that we usually have no idea of the extent of our effect on other people. I had no clue that yesterday’s class could touch someone like it did, but also I think she had no clue how she touched me either. Yesterday during the day, many hours before this talk, for several times, I taught to myself that how lucky I am to have someone like her, who can actually be my teacher, coming to my classes. I kept thinking that she is such an example of humility and grace and that I should learn from her. I guess I was right because she showed me more than I was aware of.

Then, I guess, there are ones who overestimates themselves but that is another story which I cannot elaborate on…

No comments: