Sunday, September 02, 2007

Flirting with Gravity and Grace

Yesterday I went to my friend Defne’s Gravity and Grace workshop. Before hand, I told her to not expect me to convert ☺… Well, I wanted to attend the workshop because I love and respect her and appreciate her for being one of the few with whom I can relate with. And of course, I also wanted to support her…
Gravity and Grace… It was different. Very deep stretches in the beginning. In Gravity and Grace, contrary to old Ashtanga, the dynamic part comes after the deep stretches in the beginning part. However, I am a warm up and then stretch kind of girl. Other wise, especially my quadriceps during Pigeon like leg stretches scream pain, while, after warm up they maybe slightly give pain to me but stretch much much more… Shoulders give me easier time since they are the most open part of my body but still more pain than would be with a warm up. On the other hand, at the end of the workshop, during shavasana, I thought I would not be able to get up, I almost fall asleep. I guess after all those deep shoulder stretches, my body relaxed immensely. Afterwards, I felt like I was hangover or jet lagged.
When my friend asked whether I was a convert now I said “sorry”… maybe just because I have not done enough of it yet and I have already found a practice which I love very much and want to go deeper and deeper into it in spite of all pain it might bring forth… Who remembers how difficult and inconvenient ashtanga practice was, the first time I have tried it? ☺

P.S. Yogamum I do not have your email since I cannot see your blog from RSS as it appears...

No comments: