Thursday, March 04, 2010

A. Grabbing !@#?!>

Okay, I know the title is a bit radical... but I am frustrated with this ass grabbing in Mysore... The first incident happened during the first week I arrived to Mysore on the street we live, which is just parallel to the shala, not a doggy place... I was wearing shalwar style pants and a t-shirt, walking up the street. this teenager Indian bay on a scooter came by and asked if I wanted a lift and I said no and kept walking. HE stopped there for a while, and then he began driving from what I was hearing since he was behind me and then suddenly grabbed my bum and said "get a lift!" I was so angry, I wanted to run after him, but of course he was on scooter so he just drew away and I yelled something in Turkish with that anger and feeling of humiliation. Then I had an another incident today. I was out of the dentist and I wanted to go to the city, to the Ashoka bookstore to buy this book which teaches you basic Sanskrit so I would remember what we learned in Level I Sanskrit last year and then I could continue with Level II Sanskrit classes at the shala. Therefore, I was driving my scooty in the traffic and this time I was maybe not prepared well, I forgot my scarf, I was wearing a skirt which was on my knees and a t-shirt maybe a bit wide in the front. Suddenly these three boys on a motorbike appeared by me began pushing me to the side and one of them began trying to grab my but from the side! I was in shock, I yelled and tried drive away and then this Indian lady in a van came by and stopped and they went away when they saw her. This was so dangerous beside being humiliating! Afterwards, the lady with the van came by me at the traffic lights and told me that it is my responsibility to dress up more properly and these guys are low class etc... Well, I guess I have to wear only pants or very long skirts here... I thought knee lenght was okay but apparently not at all. But the shock was they could kill me doing this while I was driving in the traffic! I was trembling a bit when I arrive to the city and felt as if I was naked or something... and Ashoka was out of stock of the book I was looking for. All was for this lesson I guess...

Well, there is some good news as well. I have been keeping this one. On Tuesday, while Sharath came to help me with Chakra Bandhasana, he asked me what posture I did the last. I said "Bakasana" and then added with a smile "Trouble!". However, he said "you come to Intermediate led class this week"! I could not believe my ears, I was so excited and this was so unexpected! After Chakra Bandhasana and a squash, I grabbed my mats and walked to the changing room for finishing postures.... After doing the finishing postures, resting and sitting for a while, I was already doubting myself, "did i hear correctly, did he really say that, did he really mean that I come to Sunday intermediate led?" So, today I had to ask him before leaving the shala "I come to intermediate led this Sunday?" and he nodded and said "yes". well this is a good step forward. At last I see an encouraging sign from a teacher...

5 comments:

peaceloveyoga said...

Yay! Ahu, congratulations! Enjoy! (sorry about the grabbing from the Indian boys) But, great news about going to lead second! xoxoxo.

DeepGroov said...

Oh wow, congrats. Sorry about the grabbing. Thats great what Sharath told you though. Hey what dentist did you use? I am going to need one when I arrive in a few days and would appreciate a good recommendation. Thanks.

Boodiba said...

That's fantastic!!, the led intermediate not the butt grab :)

I really have to get on my mat soon. Am procrastinating!

Ahu said...

Thank you guys for your excitement about the second led! I am very excited!
As for the dentist, I went to Vikram perfect, which is a new clinic in Gokulam. They are very modern and so far everything went well... the doctors are nice. Though it is more expensive than other places here, still cheaper than home...

Boodiba said...

I went through SUCH anxiety for like a month before hand when my teacher at home commanded me to go take one of Sharath's led 2nd classes in NYC. And then the event was traumatic, but I think a good 2/3rd of my reaction was bottled up sadness over my father.

Depending on my finances, I might actually do a week of the led 2nd if S goes on tour this year. Dunno if I have work at home right now though.

See you at the pool later maybe? I think I'm going around noon.