Sunday, June 27, 2010

All this...

Few weeks back, I read an article by Sri Swami Sivananda which was published at Namarupa’s April volume. The article’s title was Guru and it was about (no surprise) Gurus. What is it to be a Guru, and why there is need for a Guru, sticking with only one Guru, parampara meaning spiritual knowledge handed down from Guru to disciple, and then meaning of initiation, and then sakti sanchar, transmission of spiritual power from Guru to disciple, but also need for effort by the disciple, mare touch of the Guru is not enough… Most of these I heard from teachers before. Then the other day I read the May Volume of Namarupa and this time there was an article about Jillellamudi Mother who was considered to be reincarnation of Divine Mother. The article was the story of Mother being initiated by a Guru but it was not an ordinary story, it was not an ordinary initiation since at the end the “Guru” had been initiated by the Mother! When she was young, the Mother taken by a relative to Rajamma who was doing initiation in mantra yoga. Rajamma was acting the Guru to the book as it would be described but she had not experienced the Divine and the Mother at the time was already in touch with the divine. So, the initiation process took sometime, and the Mother challenged Rajamma in their conversations to show that the Guru and the disciple are not different from one another, that the one who is initiated and the one who initiated are One, that the ritual is there and one does it but once the One is experienced then you are free from all that… “… for Mother, God was not an abstraction. He was a lived fact, a supreme fact which includes all–ignorance as well as wisdom, weakness as well as power, darkness as well as light.” At the end of it, Mother was saying that God is the only Guru and he finds you, plants a seed in you… This was a good story, which reminded of Osho, I guess Mother’s wit… At the same time, I was reminded of the talks I have listened by one of my teachers… Remembering the talks by our teacher where he would explain “Krishna says everything emanates out of me. So, also as you think that you are such a bad mediator while you sit in your cushion, Krishna says that’s me too, you say I am ignorance and Krishna goes yep that is me too, and on and on… if one gives away the sense of specialness, things become ecstatic; reframing, everything becomes Krishna…” Therefore, I have been contemplating around these teachings… Trying to reevaluate how I see things, how I respond to them, my intelligence understanding but my conditional reactions still being there, yet still going back and remembering those who show me the way, who plant the seed, the Guru.

It has been difficult for me this past month. It was nothing really vital but still there were confusions, some hard feelings by others, things to decide, trying to reach agreements… Well, the thing was I and my friend P. decided to teach together and work for ourselves, create our own space, hopefully our own shala. However, there have been some confusions around all this andwe try to understand other people and their feelings and perspectives. Our plan to realize this was much further away but to be honest, we told it much earlier, 6 months before, still it was not enough time for some… Yet, I believe, we believe all will be fine. My friends’ with whom I worked for the last two years offered their space again which was really heartening and supportive, we appreciated their openness. However, we decided it is time to move on, grow up and realize our dream by ourselves. Of course, I get shocked sometimes with some reactions of others… It makes me think that I was not able to share/give anything, but not only that I question what yoga is good for if it will end up like this? What are we taking with us? On the other hand, I am trying to see that this is not yoga, not the responsibility of the practice or mine, everyone is responsible for their own actions… Well, for me it has been difficult because I can be too sensitive but each day was like a reminder to try to wake up to the reality… And also to realize that all is Krishna, the one who criticizes and who praises, the one who insults and who supports, my weaknesses and my good sides, all is the divine…

In the mids of all this, my practice has been full on. I realized that how it keeps me together. Some days, the early morning practices were the only times I felt a bit of peace and experienced a space free of worry. One more time, I was thankful for the practice, for the tools I was taught in the practice, with the practice; watching, listening, sitting and having faith…

4 comments:

Boodiba said...

That's fantastic you're going to open up your own space. I wish Christopher had gone that route! I would not be separated...

In modern times, it's often impossible to stick with one teacher, however much you might want to.

Anyway the best of luck to you. I can't wait to hear the progress reports.

Ahu said...

Linda, thanks for the support :)

Boodiba said...

I wish I could do more than just tell you how happy I am for you, but seriously, sometimes management and yoga don't go together. It's a lot of work to be independent, but it can be much more stable, for all concerned.

Ahu said...

yeah, we realize it will be difficult in many ways, yet easy in other ways... we will try our best. it is already enough for me to feel your happiness for us!