Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Moving forward!

We all went to Adam’s workshop on Sunday, which was ashtanga primary series followed by a vegetarian buffet lunch cooked by him. (He is, besides being a yoga teacher, also a vegetarian chef.) Okay, we were not all there, some of us were there, and then, some other yogis who do not make it to morning Mysore courses. Yes, it was pretty crowded and we sweated whole lot!!! And afterwards, the food was really good, like my mom’s food (okay mom not quite like yours!). It turns out that his favorite food is Turkish, so flavors suited my taste buds well. Afterwards, Marsha and I went to flower market, then to London fields to lie down on grass and then picked up an Almodovar movie (The flower of my secret) and watched it at Marsha’s place. So, it was a great Sunday.
This week, practice is better; my strength is coming back. I began drop backs again, and today, I was even asked to it by myself, which I did in a sort of okay way. Alsoooo two more poses are added to my series, so three more left to be doing the whole primary series. I guess my teacher forgot that I could move forward and this is because I do the full series on Friday talk throughs. She might have assumed that I was already doing it all other days of the week as well. Last week, I had to remind her that I am waiting for her approval to go ahead, but she waited last week since I took a week off before. On Monday she added supta kona and today she added supta pada angustha. But still having funny problems with bhuja pida, I cannot put my head on the floor and lift my feet off the ground! I told my teacher I have issues with my feet and she said “you know it is all in your head, right?” I guess that is very true. We have so many funny images, and prejudices about our selves it is amazing. For instance, with supta kona, I always thought I could not come up without bending my legs. Monday, my teacher told me to do it without bending my legs, first I thought about telling her that I cannot but then decided to perform it so she can see that I cannot. However, it turned out differently. I saw myself that I can actually do it perfectly without bending my legs! See what I mean!

No comments: