Saturday, May 06, 2006

Backbends open the heart!

Yesterday, we went to farewell dinner for Nick who should be now flying to Mysore. It was a lot of fun! Even though with some of the people I exchanged few words before, I felt very comfortable. I guess sharing a devotion such as yoga creates immediate links among people… So, during one of the conversations, Carry was talking about backdrops… and she turned to me and said “you will do them by yourself in 2 months” (now she is holding me when I am dropping). I was surprised and of course my immediate reply, as a self conscious, critical Virgo, was “but I cannot even get myself to vinyasa flows in a cool way when I am on the mat!”. She said “ you have a strong back”. Well, hearing this was nice. First of all, learning that I have a strong back, in a metaphorical sense, made me think that I will be fine because my strong back is supporting me in times of difficulty (and I guess so far it did. Regardless of how desperate I felt some of the times, I managed to hold myself straight) and also it can support my dear ones when they need support… and then, in terms of my practice, it is of course positive… also, I heard from another yogi that backbends open the heart. So, I will hopefully become more open.
By the way, I still could not figure out how people jump to chaturanga when doing vinyasa flows in between mat postures. I lift myself up and then I am stuck there, then I simply put my hands forward and proceed from there. I wish some yogi was reading this and could answer me, or maybe I should simply ask my teacher.

No comments: