Sunday, May 25, 2008

Tias in Istanbul one more time

Couple of weeks after I arrived, Tias came to do a workshop and a separate session exclusively for teachers on anatomy in my friends’ studio ( Cihangir Yoga) where I will begin to teach. I was a bit doubtful about attending because of my tendencies to get confused so quickly. However, at the end, I did attend all the workshops and actually accumulated the left over hours to complete my 200 hour TT with Tias, so I will get my certificate very soon. The first day Tias, Surya and their 4-year-old son were in Istanbul, I took them to the old part of the city to see some of the old palaces but one of them was closed because it was Tuesday (!?) and the other one we saw. We also went into Archeology museum and the Blue Mosque … A day later, the workshops began. It was nice to study with Tias again but inevitably, I got some question marks in my head. I wonder what other ashtanga practitioners think of this. Well, much more Iyengar leaning Tias tells that we should extend up as much and then start folding down with a straight back to protect the back, while Nancy Gilgoff told us in Berlin during the Primary series adjustment clinic that it is safer (for the back) to have slightly rounded back and fold down first and then start extending the chest forward… see, confused already... It is hard for me to understand the difference since I am so flexy, bendy…
Tias left after 4 days of workshop. It was nice to be with him, the Zen atmosphere he brings in with himself, and lovely Surya who thought I looked much better, and stronger than the TT time last summer…
With my own practice? I am struggling with jumping into Bhakasana B so I also am struggling with jumping up to handstands with two feet together. The chest pain I had last summer on my left side began showing up on my right side last week and I think it is due to handstands and then my anxiety about starting ‘Ashtanga Yoga Istanbul’ which will offer (I will) regular Mysore Ashtanga Yoga classes… It will be in my friends’ studio… it is very exacting and also scaring… kind of ‘who am I to begin all this’ but then, if I do not, who will do it? So, I am making the jump, taking the risk, making the leap to see if I can realize my dreams… cross your fingers for me. Namaste.

No comments: