Friday, May 04, 2007

Practice and teachers...

I practiced with Manju for a week while he was here. In the beginning, I was a bit bumped because all we were doing were led classes and I do not enjoy them as much as self practice naturally… But then I began feeling the intensity of practicing with him in my body… and later, the last two days of the workshop, we did Mysore classes, which were good… Manju is very relaxed and easy going person. I enjoyed his presence, his aura of contentment… He seems to like Istanbul a lot and he will be back in September. I am happy to meet him and for having the opportunity to practice with him. It was funny to see how Eric was next to his teacher, like a little, very excited kid. I guess most of us get like that when we are with our favorite teacher. I am still very fond of my first teacher, Cary, and I regard her to be my primary teacher although I am not in touch with her anymore. She helped my practice to advance so much and initiated me to teach, that I cannot thank her enough…
Today is the big day for me! I will meet Tias Little whose teacher training I am planning to do… He is giving a three-day workshop in Istanbul at Cihangir yoga. I hope it will be all well.
I feel lucky for having the opportunity to meet with all these teachers but I feel the lack of Mysore classes in Istanbul. I miss going to a shala every morning and practicing with other people before the day begins... and having the guidance of the same teacher every morning for the progress of my practice... but maybe universe is pushing me to be my own teacher, pushing me to realize that I am eligible to be my own teacher hereafter… or I am just unlucky for not having any place which offers Mysore classes… whichever I choose to believe in I guess..
I am also trying to figure out where I should practice during the 6 days I will stay in NYC. If anyone has any suggestions, I will appreciate!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If your going to be in NYC I strongly suggest Eddie Sterns shala. Its very traditional and hes an amazing teacher. Although if your only going to be there a few days than Guy donahue's place is great too. Eddie probably wont give you any adjustments until he sees your practice for a while. I belive you can find eddies under Ashtanga yoga shala NYC if you google it. and Guy's is on Ashtanga.com