Tuesday, February 27, 2007

some good news

Actually I am not that fierce usually. But I can be some of the times… and then, my trust to this space, sharing my feelings, experiences all that is somehow diminished but I will try to keep it up for a bit more (I do not know if it matters for anyone)...
Anyways… what about practice? It is going okey. Besides practicing by myself at home, I am going to Eric’s classes and I also tried out another class by another teacher which was not ashtanga… but I really fee like I need to move onto second series but Eric does led classes and it is usually primary series because most of the people are at that level… so how to move on, I d o not know. Can I do it by myself? Is that legit?
okey, here is the news, well big news. Eric asked me to teach! They are opening a new shala, which will be more old school, less luxurious (meaning no showers, towels…) but at the same time some of the teachers are leaving… so he needs more teachers… and when he mentioned the new shala, I blurted out jokingly if he needed a teacher and he said “yes, do you want to teach?” I was shocked and yes I was really shocked because a minute ago I was thinking that there is no way they would take me as a teacher here, even if I do Eric’s teacher training… So I will begin in mid march and now I am practicing on mom at home! She is amazing me lately because she’s going to yoga classes, what, 4 times a week? Last week she did so! For a 59 year old lady I find this pretty amazing! Okay, she is not doing ashtanga but she is moving up from gentle to intermediate classes. Yesterday, I give her my first class and it was good because I do not really know how to describe some of the things in Turkish given that I learned yoga in English, so she is helping me out with the speaking since she attends both Turkish speaking and English speaking teachers classes…
Coming Saturday, Eric’s Ashtanga Foundation course will begin. He told me that I do not need to take it at first but then he said that it might be helpful for me since I will begin teaching… wish me good luck if anything…

5 comments:

Caroline said...

Yay, congrats!

What a wonderful opportunity that'll be to share your experience.

Wish I could take your classes, but alas, I'm in Canada.

Ahu said...

thanks for your support Caroline :)

Alice said...

Hi, I just discovered your blog and so I've been reading back over your old posts -I'm really enjoying it thanks! I'm going to mysore for the first time in June so I was particularly interested in your experiences there and especially the courses you did in Pune - I rellly want to do some painting courses while I'm there and dancing was something I thought I'd have to stop for 3 months -can you give me some more info about those courses? Do you recommend them?!! Alice x

Ahu said...

I did painting in the osho ashram in Pune. It was great but it is more expensive than the rest of India. Check out the website www.osho.com.
However, the wonderful Japanese painting teacher has left until the next season. On the other hand, she will be in Turkey this July, you can see here http://www.oshokun.com/karakaya/english/index.htm
Dancing... it is all the time, during meditations, then in the morning, then in the parties...

Unknown said...

at our yogaschool in new york city, there are quite a few of older people (read: over 60) and they are amazing, i am sure, your mom will be able to do ashtanga with you very soon :-)
(i spend a lot of time in istanbul in the seventies!!)